Monday, April 9, 2012

Grease 2 and Honda CL77






"Grease 2" is considered as a bad movie. It sure isn't a master piece, and flopped big. It was Michelle Pfeiffer's first big budgeted movie. She got noticed and her career took off from this movie, but now she is constantly embarrassed by the film; some point she even talked about buying the whole rights of the movie and never release it in any formats ever. The guy who played the lead, Maxwell Caulfield had pretty good career going till this movie tainted it. He said it took him over 10 years to restore his career from the damage caused by this movie.

I did not think the movie was that bad mainly because I saw it when I was a kid and loved the part of a nerdy guy building a bike and practice riding so that he can impress Michelle Pfeiffer's character. Power of pussy...Actually it is a typical a-nerd-beats-bully/jock movie and even more enjoyable if you can ignore all the ridiculous dancing and singing.

The time is set in 1961 in the same high school that the original "Grease" took place. But the bikes that were used in this movie was Honda CL77, which would not have been released till 4 years later.

When you see this movie as a kid and seeing a dork becoming a cool looking biker and gets his dream girl who is gonna ride on your lap was another reason to be a motorcycle rider. Or is it?

Honda CL77 was sold from '65-'68. Powered by 305cc 4-stroke OHC parallel twin with 4 gear transmission.


The CL designation indicated this model to be the "Scrambler" version which implied some off-road capability prior to actual dirt-bikes gaining popularity.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up with Grease 2. I lived overseas for a year and had jack for US movies. Family friends sent us copies of Tron, Grease 2, Stripes, Condorman, and Dragonslayer. I watched them all into the ground, but always watched Tron and Grease 2 back-to-back. I know it wasn't as good as Grease 1 but I love that it has a few of the originals. Besides, the original T-Birds and Pink Ladies graduated, so a new batch had to take over. I think of Grease 2 as "The Next Generation" or "The Next Class" (Though G2 takes place 2 whole school years after Grease 1, meaning that the G2 T-Birds and Pink Ladies were freshmen during Grease 1.)
    Great review BTW, and I like the Motocycle Graveyard pic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ken, Funny that you watched this movie and Tron many times. I had to watch Tron many times last year since I was sculpting Sark statue. http://24.media.tumblr.com/39de1fd87346c0f3364a32ae88ebdff3/tumblr_motnbfUA2v1qa4keto2_1280.jpg
    It is interesting that all the movie you thought was cool back when you were a kid are not really watchable now. I loved "Big trouble in little China" when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete