Friday, April 27, 2012

Definition of Scooter




About a year ago, I wrote about Aprilia Mana 850 motorcycle being used by Chinese police at my personal website. Then, I was told by one of HFL contributors that Mana850 is not a motorcycle but a scooter with bit of condescending tone. I guess his definition of scooter is to have automatic transmission, CVT to be exact. My definition of scooter is close to what California Department of Motor Vehicles Motorcycle Handbook says, "any two-wheeled device that has a motor, handlebars, and a floorboard for standing on when riding" I would also add relatively, smaller engine displacement and motor being placed at rear of the vehicle. By the way, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) "doesn't define the terms “motor scooter,” “moped,” “pocket bike,” “mini-chopper,” “mini-ninja,” or any other terms of this nature that may be used for the purpose of marketing motorcycles and motor driven cycles." but in the same document, they talk about how to import "small motor-scooters".... 
Confusing...Anyway, Piaggio Gilera GP 800 is a scooter,( motor is placed in rear of the vehicle and there are floor boards.) but Aprilia Mana 850 is a motorcycle to me. Even Aprilia website calls it motorcycle; it is not in Scooter section.
Piaggio Gilera GP 800

I could see some people have problem accepting Mana 850 as a motorcycle though. The gear system is pretty much of scooter technology, and its gas tank is located under seat like scooter's. I generally enjoy riding any 2 wheelers. I don't discriminate.

No comments:

Post a Comment